Sermon on Luke 3:1-14 for the 2nd Sunday in Advent.
Sermon Talking Points:
Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com
Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
- What was so unlikely about the way that God announced the coming of His Son, the Lord? How would we have done it?
- What made John the Baptist stand out? Read the prophecies about his coming in Malachi 3:1-7 and Isaiah 40:3-5. What would his coming be like?
- Why was the wilderness and the region of the Jordan River a significant site for John’s repentance and baptismal preaching? Read Numbers 13-14, Joshua 1-4.
- How does the wilderness depict our life and spiritual situation? What testing or trials do we face? What promised land do we hope for? What’s our entrance through water into God’s kingdom? 1 Corinthians 10.
- What’s involved in preparing our hearts for the Lord’s coming? How are a level highway and straight paths made?
- What are the personal applications of repentance and a changed life in your vocations (callings) in life? See the Table of Duties in the Small Catechism.
- The word of God came to John the Baptist. How did the Word of God then come? (hint: read John 1). How does the Word of God continue to come to us?