Sermon on John 2:1-11 for the 2nd Sunday after Epiphany about the Wedding at Cana.
Sermon Talking Points:
Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com
Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
- What crisis led to Jesus’ first miracle? Why might this come as a surprise?
- How does our impatience in prayer and in waiting for God’s help often express itself? Is persistence bad? Read Luke 18:1-8. How is persistence different from demanding the time and form of God’s answer to our prayers? (think about who should be in control). What does Jesus’ answer to Mary teach us about the timing of God’s help/answers to our prayers? When is the “universal hour of God’s help?”
- How does marriage teach us about the blessings that God gives and the patience of waiting? What does Jesus use marriage to depict? Matthew 25:1-12; 9:14-17; 22:1-14; Eph. 5:22-33. How is marriage a place for practicing and living out forgiveness with a fellow Christian? How deep should our love be for our spouses if we’re called to love our neighbor as ourselves? Our spouse is our nearest neighbor, so they should be our dearest love.
- What did the miracle show about Jesus and His character? How does God save the best for last? What was so significant about “the hour” that Jesus was waiting for? Cf. John 12:23ff; 13:1; 16:1; 17:1ff. What happened then, and how did it prepare “the best for last?”
- How do Jesus’ last gifts prove the most enduring of all His miracles, and the best of His “wine?” How does God’s grace continue to pour out through your earthly life and beyond?