Sermon on John 14:23-31 for Pentecost Sunday, at the confirmation of several of our youth. A sermon about the Holy Spirit and His significance to the life of a Christian disciple.
Sermon Talking Points
Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com
Listen to audio at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
- What does the believer’s keeping of God’s Word and commandments show about their attitude toward God? What does God do in return? John 14:15, 21; 8:51; 15:10; 1 John 2:3-4. Does this love for God and obedience toward His commandments begin with us and then receive His response, or the other way around? 1 John 4:10, 19.
- How does God make His dwelling or “room” with us? Ezekiel 37:24-28; Leviticus 26:11-12; 2 Corinthians 6:16; Ephesians 3:16-17. What must we avoid lest we grieve the Holy Spirit? Eph. 4:30
- Jesus said in John 14:26, that the Holy Spirit’s teaching traces back to Him (cf. 15:26; 16:13-14). Jesus’ own teaching traces back to whom? John 7:16; 8:28; 12:49, etc. How does this show the perfect unity of the Trinity?
- How is the Spirit’s wisdom different from that of the world? 1 Corinthians 2:10-16; 1 John 2:20, 27.
- What is different between the peace Jesus gives, and the peace that the world gives? John 14:27; 16:33. How does it give us comfort and courage?
- Read John 14:30-31. Jesus’ cross would show the world that He loves the Father, and it shows that the devil (the ruler of this world) has no claim or power over Jesus.