Sermon for the 4th Sunday in Lent, on Numbers 21:4-9 and John 3:14-21
Sermon Talking Points:
1. How did the Israelites show their ungratefulness? How has the sin of ungratefulness been evident in your own heart and life?
2. How has the venom of sin plagued your life or relationships? What have been the effects?
3. How does God’s Law awaken our need for repentance, or alert us to sin’s deadly effects?
4. Why was it so distasteful for them to look at the bronze serpent? Why is it so distasteful for us to look at Jesus crucified? What would God have us learn by this?
5. Compare Jesus with Moses’ role as an intercessor. Compare Him to the bronze serpent. How does Jesus’ being “lifted up” draw all people to Himself and bring glory to God? (Read John 12:27-36; 8:25-30) What is that “lifting up”?
6. How does Jesus’ lifting up on the cross “draw the venom” from us, and what is the result for us?
7. For your own study, read 2 Kings 18:1-12 (esp. v. 4). How did the bronze serpent later become twisted to a false purpose and use?