A story sermon based on Romans 6:1-11, addressing why Paul tells us that we cannot sin so that grace may increase. For the Baptism of Our Lord.
Sermon Talking Points: Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
1. My sermon attempts to put the question of “Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound?” into a story about salvation, that can help us to see why it’s completely illogical to dive back into sin—as Paul says: “By no means! How can we who died to sin still live in it?”
2. How is our salvation and rescue from sin truly like being drowned, rescued, and brought back to life? Ephesians 2:1-10, especially vs. 1 & 5
3. What are the new clothes of salvation that we wear? Gal. 3:27; Romans 6:1-11; 13:14. What are the old rags that Christ takes off of us? Isaiah 64:6; Rom. 6:6; Col. 3:5-11. Why can we not enter the “Heavenly Harbor” wearing our old rags? Matt. 22:1-14
4. What is Jesus’ aim and purpose? Luke 19:10; John 10:11-18; 1 Tim. 2:4
5. Why are some people dissatisfied to remain aboard the “Ship Salvation?” Why would people prefer to live in the old ways of sin? How is this incompatible with “life aboard ship”?
6. How is the “ocean of sin” a powerfully deceptive lure? Matt. 13:22; 1 Tim. 6:6-10; Prov. 11:28; John 8:34.
7. How do God and Jesus show their patience toward us in salvation? 2 Pet. 3:8-10; How is Jesus the agent of God’s justice? Isaiah 42:1-9; James 2:13. What should our response be to such a great salvation?