Sermon on 1 John 1:1-2:2 for the 2nd Sunday of Easter
Sermon Talking Points:
1. What does propitiation mean, and why is this “cross-word” worth adding to or keeping in our vocabulary? How did Jesus “propitiate” our sins?
2. How does sin estrange us from God? (read Psalm 5)
3. What is the truthful response to the knowledge of our sin and God’s wrath against sin? How does this response bring us into light and fellowship with Him? (reread 1 John 1)
4. What is the false response to knowledge of sin? How does this make God out to be a liar?
5. What sins or sinful patterns of life are you hanging on to that you refuse to surrender? What are some deceptions that we tell ourselves to justify sin?
6. Why was the eyewitness testimony of the Resurrection so vitally important, in relation to Jesus’ propitiation for our sins?
7. How does this knowledge enable our joy and fellowship with God to be complete?