Sermon on Deuteronomy 4:1-2, 6-9, about God's purpose for the nation of Israel, and how that purpose was eventually fulfilled not through themselves, but through Jesus. How Christ extends that purpose and calling also to believers in Him as the Church is called to bear Christ's light in the world.
Sermon Talking Points
Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com
Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
1. The title of the book “Deuteronomy” means “second law”—because the book was Moses’ re-issuing of the statutes and laws that God had given to Israel on Mt. Sinai, as Israel finished its 40 years of wandering in the desert, and prepared to enter the Promised Land. It was a solemn admonition to keep God’s laws before them and to do them.
2. Why is it vital that we do not add or subtract from God’s Word and commands? Deuteronomy 4:2; Matthew 5:17-20; Revelation 22:18-19.
3. What was God’s hope and expectation for how Israel would become an example for the nations, as He called them out of Egypt and established them as a new nation? Deuteronomy 4:6-8; Exodus 19:5-6; cf. 1 Kings 8:41-43. How did He warn them against pride in their exalted status? Deuteronomy 8:17-9:7
4. When did they seem to begin attaining that high purpose and calling? 1 Kings 10:1-9. How long did it take for King Solomon to go astray? 1 Kings 11:1-13; cf. Jeremiah 31:31-34. How had God warned about this, centuries before? Deuteronomy 17:14-20.
5. How would God provide one faithful Israelite, one man to be a king on the throne of David, one wise man who would not turn from God’s law either to the right or to the left, and who would be the Light for the Nations? Isaiah 42:6; 49:6; 60:1-3; Psalm 98:1-3; Luke 2:32; John 8:12; Acts 13:47; 26:23. How does Jesus, as Israel reduced to one man, fulfill all the promise and expectation where Israel fell short? How does He give His church, as His spiritual kingdom, His light to continue to bear? Matthew 5:14-16; Philippians 2:15. How do we continue to bear that high and holy calling? 1 Peter 2:5, 9; Revelation 1:6.