Sermon on Mark 10:17-22 for the 19th Sunday after Pentecost.
Sermon Talking Points: Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
1. Facing our mortality brings the inevitable question of “what’s next?” after death. Ecclesiastes 3:11. Have we answered this question for ourselves, and are we prepared for life’s end, whenever it may come?
2. What was flawed about the rich young man’s question? What is incompatible about meriting an inheritance? Romans 4:4-5
3. Why did the man think that he was basically good, and deserving of eternal life? Why is this not true? Romans 3:10-12, 21-24; Ecclesiastes 7:20; Mark 10:18. What do we need to admit about our own goodness or lack-thereof, and how this affects our relationship to God? 1 John 1:8-10; 4:10, 19
4. What are the “two tables” of the 10 Commandments? Mark 12:28-31 How had the rich young man failed to keep the first table, and especially the first commandment? Exodus 20:2-3ff. Reflect on your own failures to keep the commandments. What things have we placed as idols in our hearts?
5. Where do we get a full heart? What is the heavenly treasure that we should seek? Matthew 6:19-24
6. How did Jesus forsake all of His treasure to become ours and to grant us all of His treasure? What did it cost Him? 1 Peter 1:3-7, 18-20
7. What riches can we now freely give away, since we have faith in Christ? How does giving this away add to our treasure in heaven?