Sermon on Revelation 2:18-29, for the 5th Sunday of Easter. This is part four of the sermon series "Easter Letters" and addresses the church of Thyatira.
Sermon Talking Points:
Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com
Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
- Thyatira was an army post and center of commerce where vice and immorality were rampant. We know little from history or the Bible except that Lydia, a convert, was from there (Acts 16:14-15).
- Identify the following in the letter to Thyatira: (these basic features are repeated in each letter)
Image of Christ:
Local detail about the church:
What Christ sees: A) Good B) Bad
Call to Repent:
Promise to the One who Conquers:
- Look at parallels to the image of Christ here. Daniel 10:6; Jer. 17:9-10; 11:20; Ps. 7:9ff; 2:8-9; Rev. 22:16; Num. 24:17; Dan. 12:3.
- Who was Jezebel in the Old Testament? 1 Kings 16:31-33; 21:25-26; How is she a fitting comparison to the “Jezebel” of Thyatira? What must all who are caught in sin do? How does God respond to the repentant? The unrepentant? Ezekiel 18:21-24; John 7:53-8:11.
- What should we “hold fast” to? Luke 8:15; 1 Cor. 15:2; Col. 2:19; 1 Thess. 5:21; Heb. 3:6; 10:23; Cf. Hosea 12:6; Psalm 46
- Who is the “morning star”? Cf. Rev. 22:16; 2 Peter 1:19; Num. 24:17; Daniel 12:3. How does the believer receive this?