Sermon for Epiphany on Matthew 2:1-12, the visit of the Magi.
Sermon Talking Points:
Read past sermons at: http://thejoshuavictortheory.blogspot.com
Listen to audio at: https://thejoshuavictortheory.podbean.com
- Epiphany means to manifest, reveal, or make known. How is Jesus revealed as both God and man at the visit of the Magi? His baptism? His first miracle of turning water into wine, etc?
- What expectation did the Magi have when traveling to see Jesus? Numbers 24:17. How might they have known this prophecy? What expectations can we have as we approach Jesus? How does their hope urge us on to believe that we too can be received by Jesus?
- How did the Magi’s search show that they sought truth? Where did the priests in Jerusalem find that truth for the Magi? Micah 5:2; 2 Sam. 5:1-2. What was their response to it? Why didn’t they go and worship also?
- How can we worship Jesus with joy like the Magi? How does the light of Christ, the Morning Star, give us joy? 2 Peter 1:19; Rev. 21:16
- What sacrifice and gifts can we offer King Jesus? Psalm 51:16-17; Rom. 12:1; Heb. 13:15-16
- How do the treasures that Jesus opens to us far surpass anything we could give? What treasures does He bring us? 1 Peter 1:17-21. How does Jesus serve us in worship? Mark 10:45; cf. John 13:1-20